Jun 19, 2012

Chakkakuru Mulakittathu - Jackfruit seeds in hot sauce

I don't intend to make this a cookery page. There are many more on Blogger who are far better, talented  cooks than I and I really depend on almost all of them to do my daily cooking. :)

I was having those jack fruit seeds that I had so religiously collected and kept it out to dry. I didn't want to spoil them. I don't like jack fruit... I know it smells awesome, but that's it. I used to hog on it during my visits back home for my school summer vacations, but once due to over hogging, my stomach declared, "Enough is enough!" and gave up! So there I go into a long week of terrible diarrhea and vomiting and I swore that I wouldn't eat any more jack fruit. Each time, I see jack fruit, my mind somehow goes back to that ordeal and I cannot get myself to eat it.

Such a long story I have said... this is my umma's recipe and I love to have it... after rice, I would just dig my spoon into the "paathram" that has this and would continously eat till my tummy releases some funny noises... hehe... I found some recipes on blogger for the seeds but somehow, I was craving for this. Immediately I called umma home, got the recipe and made it! I've made it two times, thereby exhausting my chakkakkuru stock, but then I know, I will make this each time I get these seeds in my hand... So for me and for you to try when you get hold of it, here is the recipe.

Chakkarkuru Mulakittathu
Serves 4 as side dish


Ingredients:

Jackfruit seeds - 1 cup, soaked in water, skin peeled and outer grated to remove the brown portion (not completely though, leave some on!) and diced into half or quarters
Onion - 1 meduim, thinly sliced
Tomato - 1 meduim, thinly sliced
Ginger garlic paste - 1 tbsp
Tamarind - size of one small lemon, soaked in hot water
Turmeric powder - 1/2 tsp
Chilli powder - 1 tsp (more if you want it more spicy)
Salt to taste
Water - 1/2 cup

For tempering:
Coconut oil - 2 tbsp
Mustard seeds - 1 tsp
Shallots - 5, sliced thinly
Curry leaves, sufficient

Method:

Put all the ingredients except the ones for tempering into a pressure cooker and nicely mix it. Keep it on high flame till the cooker releases three whistles. Now reduce the flame to the lowest possible and let it cook for 25-30 minutes. Switch off and allow the steam to be released on its own. Once done, open the cooker, give it a nice stir to mix it well.

Pour oil into a small pan, heat the coconut oil, splutter the mustard seeds. Fry the shallots and curry leaves till done. Pour it over the chakkarkuru molakittathu and enjoy digging in!!!!

Damn simple, isn't it??? :) I just love it to the core. I'm sure you guys will love it too... 

15 comments:

  1. thank you so much for letting me know! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Will explore this blog for both the recipes and the other posts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hi radha... u'l hardly find any recipes here, in fact this is my first, i had to record it somewhere in order to not forget how to make it... :)

      Delete
  3. Love the veg. dishes from God's own country. this recipe sounds yummy! Rafeeda. Happy to follow you.

    Mira’s Talent Gallery

    :-) Mira

    ReplyDelete
  4. Chakkakuru curry adipoli...Its long that I had them...Great start..Keep rocking..

    ReplyDelete
  5. awesome recipe..loved it
    new to your space..
    happy following you..:)
    do stop by mine sometime
    Tasty Appetite

    ReplyDelete
  6. yummy recipe..happy to follow u..
    do visit my space..
    Shabbu's Tasty Kitchen

    ReplyDelete
  7. Delicious recipe with jackfruit seeds. Really hot.

    Hamsamalini Chandeasekaran,
    www.indianrecipecorner.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank u for your kind words... :) in fact the spice level I've mentioned is very mild, as we cannot take too much spice...

      Delete
  8. hands down, this is one of the best dishes, I ever had..
    my umma also used to make it, though somewhat differently without ginger garlic..
    looking forward to more recipes from u:)
    btw, it's a pity you cannot bring urself to eat jackfruits.. u never knows what you miss, girl!:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :D i know what i'm missing... i dissect the whole fruit, with the smell wafting in the kitchen, still somehow i can't eat it... :( i wish this would have been the case for sweets, i would have reduced my weight quite a bit by now!!! InshaAllah, hopefully soon i'l get rid of this fear... :)

      Delete