I got introduced to kookapodi - arrowroot powder after getting married. I hail from Malappuram district of Kerala while my hubby is from Payyoli - best known to be the land of PT Usha, our famous sprinter. The culture over there is very similar to that of the norther part of Kerala - Kannur and Kasargode. My husband's family are very good cooks, and I used to be astonished at the variety of items my mother-in-law used to prepare. Even the simplest fish curry and vegetable curry used to taste awesome. Dishes involving arrowroot used to be common for afternoon tea, but then gradually, during the following vacations, it diminished as getting good quality arrowroot started becoming difficult.
Actually, I was never keen of arrowroot. It appeared tasteless to me. Moreover I did not know how to prepare it. My husband loves it and used to push me to master it's cooking, but then the lazy cook in me was always telling me a negative response. This March, when I went down for a week, I managed to track down 1/2 a kg of arrowroot for a princely sum of Rs. 500/- and as per instruction from my sister-in-law, I have stored it in an airtight container. I used to make kooka kanji during the iftar breaks, in tandem with tharikanji and oats. I have heard arrowroot is a tummy cooler and helps in digestion.
The below recipe is my husband's favorite. He will take it gladly whenever I give it to him. It has a nice thick and smooth texture and is really filling.
Ingredients:
500 ml low fat milk
300 ml coconut milk (I prepared it as 275 ml water + 3 desert spoons of coconut powder)
6 heaped tablespoons of arrowroot powder (kookapodi)
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 tsp cardamom powder
A pinch salt
2 large or 3 meduim nenthrapazham (ripe plaintain), cut into cubes
Method:
Mix all the ingredients except the plaintains into a smooth mixutre and keep on meduim-low flame to start cooking. Stir occassionally to avoid sticking at the bottom of the pan. When the mixture starts to thicken, add the plaintains and mix well. Leave it to thicken and keep stirring cooking for 5 minutes. Switch off the flame, allow to cool and serve warm.
Seriously yummy....
Actually, I was never keen of arrowroot. It appeared tasteless to me. Moreover I did not know how to prepare it. My husband loves it and used to push me to master it's cooking, but then the lazy cook in me was always telling me a negative response. This March, when I went down for a week, I managed to track down 1/2 a kg of arrowroot for a princely sum of Rs. 500/- and as per instruction from my sister-in-law, I have stored it in an airtight container. I used to make kooka kanji during the iftar breaks, in tandem with tharikanji and oats. I have heard arrowroot is a tummy cooler and helps in digestion.
The below recipe is my husband's favorite. He will take it gladly whenever I give it to him. It has a nice thick and smooth texture and is really filling.
Kooka Nenthrapazham Kaachiyathu
Serves 4
500 ml low fat milk
300 ml coconut milk (I prepared it as 275 ml water + 3 desert spoons of coconut powder)
6 heaped tablespoons of arrowroot powder (kookapodi)
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 tsp cardamom powder
A pinch salt
2 large or 3 meduim nenthrapazham (ripe plaintain), cut into cubes
Method:
Mix all the ingredients except the plaintains into a smooth mixutre and keep on meduim-low flame to start cooking. Stir occassionally to avoid sticking at the bottom of the pan. When the mixture starts to thicken, add the plaintains and mix well. Leave it to thicken and keep stirring cooking for 5 minutes. Switch off the flame, allow to cool and serve warm.
Seriously yummy....

Looks like a payasam. Delish
ReplyDeleteThis one looks delicious my hubby is koova fan. Sure I will try this one.
ReplyDeleteA healthy dish...Kandittu kothi varunnu..
ReplyDeletethis looks delicious n yummy....healthy too
ReplyDeleteI thnk ths s koovakkizhangu, right? Seen at my hubbys place also..... Ths luks healthy
ReplyDeletepls don't ask me so many details, hasna... :) :) my GK is very bad! i only know this powder is called koova, very fine white powder and in english, it is called arrowroot...
Delete