It is so very true that necessity IS the mother of invention. It is only when you try to finish off some grocery with you, which you very well know may not push out in the near future, that you invent ways to finish it off without much fuss.
During Ramadan, I had bought a packet of Qamaruddin, which is basically preserved dry apricot sheets, to make juice out of it. Even though a tad bit time consuming, I used to love the end result, though nobody in my house were very fond. Once Ramadan got over, I knew for sure the remaining sheet is going to lie in the refrigerator and expire to glory. That is when I though, why not utilise it into a pudding. I googled for a recipe online and got one recipe, which unfortunately gave me something which looked like a juice rather than a pudding. :T OK, so now what do I do with it?? Then I suddenly realised that I had bought a set of lollyholders and voila, there I converted into lollies, and the next day, it disappeared... In fact, I didn't get even one of them to eat fully. I had to satisfy myself by licking from what was given to hubby and the kids. :T
Ingredients:
200 gm qamaruddin sheets, soaked in 2 glasses of hot water for 3 to 4 hours till soft
1/2 cup sugar
2 tbsp rose water
1 tbsp corn flour, made into a paste with 1/4 cup water
Method:
Soak the qamaruddin sheet in hot water for 3-4 hours or overnight, until soft. Mash the whole mixture by hand till well melted or you can also use a hand blender to mash up the mixture. Pour this juice into a saucepan, add all the other ingredients and mix well without any lumps. Bring to boil on low to medium flame and cook till the mixture thickens to a pourable consistency. Keep stirring in between to ensure that it doesn't stick to the pan.
Switch off the flame and let it cool. Once completely cooled, pour into your lolly holders and freeze them for 3-4 hours. To pull out the lollies, dip them in hot water for a few seconds and pull out. Enjoy!!!
These were really lip smacking yummy... similar to the ones that you make with Tang. But it had a very refreshing apricot flavor that makes it different. The kids enjoyed it and now I'm seriously thinking of storing some qamaruddin sheets to make these once in a while... :)
During Ramadan, I had bought a packet of Qamaruddin, which is basically preserved dry apricot sheets, to make juice out of it. Even though a tad bit time consuming, I used to love the end result, though nobody in my house were very fond. Once Ramadan got over, I knew for sure the remaining sheet is going to lie in the refrigerator and expire to glory. That is when I though, why not utilise it into a pudding. I googled for a recipe online and got one recipe, which unfortunately gave me something which looked like a juice rather than a pudding. :T OK, so now what do I do with it?? Then I suddenly realised that I had bought a set of lollyholders and voila, there I converted into lollies, and the next day, it disappeared... In fact, I didn't get even one of them to eat fully. I had to satisfy myself by licking from what was given to hubby and the kids. :T
Qamaruddin Lollies
Makes 6 lollies
Ingredients:
200 gm qamaruddin sheets, soaked in 2 glasses of hot water for 3 to 4 hours till soft
1/2 cup sugar
2 tbsp rose water
1 tbsp corn flour, made into a paste with 1/4 cup water
Method:
Soak the qamaruddin sheet in hot water for 3-4 hours or overnight, until soft. Mash the whole mixture by hand till well melted or you can also use a hand blender to mash up the mixture. Pour this juice into a saucepan, add all the other ingredients and mix well without any lumps. Bring to boil on low to medium flame and cook till the mixture thickens to a pourable consistency. Keep stirring in between to ensure that it doesn't stick to the pan.
Switch off the flame and let it cool. Once completely cooled, pour into your lolly holders and freeze them for 3-4 hours. To pull out the lollies, dip them in hot water for a few seconds and pull out. Enjoy!!!
These were really lip smacking yummy... similar to the ones that you make with Tang. But it had a very refreshing apricot flavor that makes it different. The kids enjoyed it and now I'm seriously thinking of storing some qamaruddin sheets to make these once in a while... :)

Refreshing lollies... Who dont love these
ReplyDeleteSounds so yum and cool!! :)
ReplyDeleteTamarind Date Chutney For Chaat / Sweet & Sour Chutney / Khatta Meetha Chutney
Inviting You To Join In The South Vs North Challenge - Learn Regional Indian Recipes
lovely lollies
ReplyDelete