Apr 12, 2012

Some observations...

I have been having this blog for the past three years, but I guess it is only the last one month I have learned that there are many things that can be done. Especially with cooking - the sources are so much that I really get confused where to start. Even though being an amateur, the pictures and the full descriptions give me so much confidence that I really get upset when things don't work out.. hehe... the height of overconfidence!!! ;)

There were three observations that I noticed that was with almost every blog I could read through...

1. A compulsion to lick off the spoon - Nutella is number one. I also saw some reference to Horlicks and milk powder. :) Oh yes, how much I love it! I do keep sneaking out Nutella, even though I warn my daughter not to do it (Ahem, ahem - bad mom!!!). I love to eat Horlicks as it is. As for milk powder, it has to be Amulya, I can't take it off. The height of it is my cousin - she brings 2-3 packs with her each time she goes to India, so that she can have it for herself!! :)

2. Being lazy when mom's around - I guess it was a syndrome only for me, but then when I started reading, I saw that almost everybody had that 'problem'. Even my help was telling me the same thing!!! :) So I guess the feeling is universal. I don't enter the kitchen if my mom is around. Since she nags me quite a bit, I do all the cutting but no cooking, please... Now she's in US with my sister and I though maybe my sister might be making things for her, but it was just the opposite. She commented - I don't think I've the fate to eat what my daughters   prepare. Gulp!!! I've promised myself, I'll cook for her when she's back next week... I will cook, InshaAllah... hmmm....

3. Upper hand for your own area's cooking - we may call ourselves the international generation, but your heart is always where you are originally from. I can see so many regional recipes, but sometimes I shy away because I am not quite sure if it would fit the Keralite taste buds, even though I am willing to try! This happened when I tried a Tuna Pasta bake from BBC Good Food recently. It looked so white in the picture, did not look appealing at all. So I put the tuna into a tawa, a pinch of turmeric, some paprika (even though not very Indian!), some salt and just sauteed it. Then I put it on the pasta, spread cheese and microwaved it. Now, when I saw that yellowy shade, it gave me immense pleasure. :) We always feel nostalgic with our own food, so like to prepare it more so that our family members also enjoy it.

A long note in the morning... :) Going to have breakfast in office - atta dosas with Nutella, yum yum!!! The climate is beautiful out here, even though getting a bit way hot for April, but still nice for the parks and beaches...

Wishing you all a bright day ahead... :) Ciao...

6 comments:

  1. Thank you Rafeeda for visiting my space and trying the recipe! I am elated!!
    Loved ur style of writing! Very honest and natural:-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :) thank u for your kind words... and thank you for passing by...

      Delete
  2. hi rafeeda, this post was just spot on..I could relate to each point! Nutella is difficult to stop eating it straight from the jar....and with my mom, yes, I am very lazy when she's there...and with the continental dishes, I am almost always tempted to sneak in haldi and chill...I was amazed at how you are so perceptive about these things which we do but are not aware of! Also, my thanks is long overdue to you for taking the time to comment on my pressurecookerbiriyani post...its always nice to get comments tho I know the majority of ppl are like me-read a lot of blog but lazy to write in! Keep blogging and hope we can be blog friends :-).....tc!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank u so much karishma for your kind words... :)

      Delete