I am one hell of a lazy person. Laziness is all in my blood and bones and where not!!!! Yeah, but sill I do a full time work, go home, juggle with the kids, do the cooking... but then yearn to just sit and feel lazy.... I somehow love doing that. I guess quite many of us have a lazy bone in us. Having said that, Fridays, which are weekends in this part of the world, is my laziest day. I hate to make breakfast that day, even though I very enthusiastically do the lunch. Either it is a home delivery from the nearby vegetable restaurant, it is puttu or it is kichadi.
I've actually seen savory kichadis so I really don't have any idea as to how my mom got this name and the recipe. But to tell you the truth, it is my favorite to make on a Friday. Less headache, filling breakfast - very apt for the lazyhead in me!!! :)
Kichadi
Serves 4 - 5 well eating individuals!
Ingredients:
3/4 cup broken moong dal (cherupayar)
1-1/4 cup dosa/idli rice
Wash both together properly and keep soaked overnight. If not overnight, a minimum of one hour.
4 tbsp grated coconut
1 cup thick coconut milk (you can use the canned coconut milk or prepared with coconut milk powder)
3/4 cup grated jaggery (normally, here jaggery comes in one square shape blocks. Depending on the sweetness, put 1-2 blocks)
Salt, a pinch
1/2 tsp cardamom powder (optional)
Sufficient water
Method:
Put all the ingredients with sufficient water (to be minimum an inch and a half above the dal-rice mix) into a pressure cooker. Cook upto 3 whistles on high flame and then keep on simmer for 15-20 minutes. Switch off and leave for pressure to release on itself. Open the lid and mix the kichadi well to incorporate it completely. Check sweetness and thickness. If it is not sweet enough, you may add sugar to your liking and if the kichdi is too thick, dilute with warm milk or water till desired consistency. Serve with a spoonful of ghee!!!!
By the time, I finish typing this, my mouth is already watering... Hehe...
I've actually seen savory kichadis so I really don't have any idea as to how my mom got this name and the recipe. But to tell you the truth, it is my favorite to make on a Friday. Less headache, filling breakfast - very apt for the lazyhead in me!!! :)
Kichadi
Serves 4 - 5 well eating individuals!
Ingredients:
3/4 cup broken moong dal (cherupayar)
1-1/4 cup dosa/idli rice
Wash both together properly and keep soaked overnight. If not overnight, a minimum of one hour.
4 tbsp grated coconut
1 cup thick coconut milk (you can use the canned coconut milk or prepared with coconut milk powder)
3/4 cup grated jaggery (normally, here jaggery comes in one square shape blocks. Depending on the sweetness, put 1-2 blocks)
Salt, a pinch
1/2 tsp cardamom powder (optional)
Sufficient water
Method:
Put all the ingredients with sufficient water (to be minimum an inch and a half above the dal-rice mix) into a pressure cooker. Cook upto 3 whistles on high flame and then keep on simmer for 15-20 minutes. Switch off and leave for pressure to release on itself. Open the lid and mix the kichadi well to incorporate it completely. Check sweetness and thickness. If it is not sweet enough, you may add sugar to your liking and if the kichdi is too thick, dilute with warm milk or water till desired consistency. Serve with a spoonful of ghee!!!!
By the time, I finish typing this, my mouth is already watering... Hehe...

I do agree..I do love a day of lazing around and not nothing but never get the opportunity. This looks simple enough and doesn't take long to prepare..looks great! :)
ReplyDeletethank u!!! :)
Deletevery different and healthy breakfast..
ReplyDeletehttp://indiantastyfoodrecipes.blogspot.com
thank you for your comments, rekha! :)
DeleteHealthy breakfast check my blog for easy cooking
ReplyDeleteHealthy breakfast .pls visit my space for easy and healthy cooking www.cookingatmayflower.blogspot.com
hi beena... i've already bookmarked ur site as my follow blogs is already full... :)
Delete