The weather is amazing today. Very dark and cloudy with continous drizzling. Last night, it was quite windy, and had some fairly heavy rain accompanied by lightening and thunder. The last winter in the UAE was devoid any of these rainy days and it was one of driest that I've seen in all my life spent over here. I really enjoyed the weather today, even though got stuck in traffic, I made sure to roll down both the car windows and enjoy the breeze and the drizzle to the maximum. So who cares if you reach office late??? :)
I had posted some posts ago, that I was on a cooking spree and going to try a recipe which is my mom's signature dish. My mom makes it to perfection and Rasha just loves it. I'm jotting it down here, so that I can refer it back and you guys can try as well. This is comfort food at its best, I should say!!!
Ingredients for the Koonthal Choru:
2-1/2 cups rice - Palakkadan Matta (brown rice)
500 gm squid, cleaned and cut into pcs
3 green chlillies, slit
1 tbsp fenugreek
Handful curry leaves
5-6 shallots, sliced
4 tbsp coconut
Salt to taste
1 litre water
Method:
Dump all the ingredients into a large pressure cooker and give it a nice stir. Keep the cooker on high flame till the first whistle comes through. Lower the pressure and cook on sim for not more than 5 minutes. Switch off the flame and let the pressure go on its own. Open your cooker and mix the rice once more to combine all ingredients well. Serve hot with dal, any pickle and pappadam!!!!
Ingredients for the Parippu:
1/2 cup masoor dal, soaked and cooked
1/2 tsp turmeric powder
Salt, to taste
1 cup water
To grind:
4 tbsp coconut
2 green chillies
1 1/2 inch pc ginger
1/2 tsp fennel seeds
Salt to taste
To temper:
2 tbsp coconut oil
1 tsp mustard seeds
5-6 dry red chillies
Curry leaves
Method:
Cook the first four ingredients in a pressure cooker till the dal is mashed up. Grind the ingredients under "To Grind". Heat a "chatti", pour the oil and keep till hot. Splutter the mustard seeds. Add the dry chillies and curry leaves and saute for 30 seconds. Add the cooked dal and the grinded masala and mix well. Simmer for 5 minutes till the flavors mix. Serve with the koonthal choru. The dal would be thick without much water content.
Already, I have my mouth full!!! The weather is so cold that you feel hungry constantly - not as cold as it would be in the west, but still... hehe... - and typing this is making my tummy growl. Oh yeah, I didn't have my breakky...
So those who are in the Gulf... Enjoy the weather and stay fit and healthy!!! :)
I had posted some posts ago, that I was on a cooking spree and going to try a recipe which is my mom's signature dish. My mom makes it to perfection and Rasha just loves it. I'm jotting it down here, so that I can refer it back and you guys can try as well. This is comfort food at its best, I should say!!!
Koonthal Chorum Parippum
Serves 4-5
Ingredients for the Koonthal Choru:
2-1/2 cups rice - Palakkadan Matta (brown rice)
500 gm squid, cleaned and cut into pcs
3 green chlillies, slit
1 tbsp fenugreek
Handful curry leaves
5-6 shallots, sliced
4 tbsp coconut
Salt to taste
1 litre water
Method:
Dump all the ingredients into a large pressure cooker and give it a nice stir. Keep the cooker on high flame till the first whistle comes through. Lower the pressure and cook on sim for not more than 5 minutes. Switch off the flame and let the pressure go on its own. Open your cooker and mix the rice once more to combine all ingredients well. Serve hot with dal, any pickle and pappadam!!!!
Ingredients for the Parippu:
1/2 cup masoor dal, soaked and cooked
1/2 tsp turmeric powder
Salt, to taste
1 cup water
To grind:
4 tbsp coconut
2 green chillies
1 1/2 inch pc ginger
1/2 tsp fennel seeds
Salt to taste
To temper:
2 tbsp coconut oil
1 tsp mustard seeds
5-6 dry red chillies
Curry leaves
Method:
Cook the first four ingredients in a pressure cooker till the dal is mashed up. Grind the ingredients under "To Grind". Heat a "chatti", pour the oil and keep till hot. Splutter the mustard seeds. Add the dry chillies and curry leaves and saute for 30 seconds. Add the cooked dal and the grinded masala and mix well. Simmer for 5 minutes till the flavors mix. Serve with the koonthal choru. The dal would be thick without much water content.
Already, I have my mouth full!!! The weather is so cold that you feel hungry constantly - not as cold as it would be in the west, but still... hehe... - and typing this is making my tummy growl. Oh yeah, I didn't have my breakky...
So those who are in the Gulf... Enjoy the weather and stay fit and healthy!!! :)

is it like majboos ?
ReplyDeleteNo dear. It is more like thenga choru...
DeleteKoonthal rice adipoli.
ReplyDeletethank u so much swathi!
Delete