I am a total sweet tooth, whatever come may. Because of my nasty sweet tooth, I cannot diet!!! My weight is budgeoning and I am having a tough time turning a deaf ear to my husband's nasty remarks. :( I've always been on the heavier side and I prefer calling myself "healthy", even though it really isn't! Somehow my height has been a very big blessing, considering that I am 172 cm tall... but ideally when I should be weighing less 100 of my height, I've always been on the plus side. Geesh, I am getting depressed by this weight talk... Lemme just move away from it!!! Hehe...
When we had our get together of our school friends at one of my friend's house, I naturally decided on baking a cake. Since I knew my friends are unaware of Dulce de leche, I zeroed on this recipe and went ahead. Even I never knew what this "item" was till I was hooked onto blogosphere's high food content! I made the DDL (better for short forms than type it again to make spelling mistakes!!!) and used up almost 3/4 can for the recipe. Now what do I do with the remaining? I also had some left over evaporated milk that I had used for the steamed chocolate moist cake.
I do have a sweet tooth, but I can tell you one thing - once I started cooking, I really cannot eat Nutella, condensed milk or the likes directly into my mouth. I somehow feel that they are better when included in cooking. Seriously!!! These were things I could keep licking my spoon and dipping it over and over again, but now I have got over the urge to do so. May, becasue I am seeing it more often... Can be that my mind is now saturated towards it! So that explains the reason why the remaining DDL sat in the fridge without being touched. My brother who normally raids the fridge for these kinds didn't touch it because he is not fond of caramel.
As usual, I hung onto my phone to get some idea to finish it off and I found a recipe called "Mexican Flan". I really don't remember which site I adopted this recipe from. Flan is very similar to Creme Custard and cooked almost in the same fashion. What I could find is that normally flans have a caramel topping, however Mexicans prefer to use DDL or cajeta, as they call it. With no second thoughts, I just went ahead and did it. It is so easy to mix up all and arrange. The only difficulty is to wait till it gets done and then refrigerated, before you can gobble it down!
Ingredients:
1/2 cup dulce de leche
1/2 can (14oz) evaporated milk
1/2 can (12 oz) condensed milk
2 large eggs, room temperature
1/8 tsp cinnamon powder
Sugar, if required
Butter, to brush on ramekins
Method:
Preheat oven to 160 degree Celsuis.
In a bowl, beat the eggs with a whisk till well done. You do not need to beat for a long time, just until it becomes slightly pale. Add the evaporated-condensed milks and cinnamon powder and mix thoroughly. Check for sweetness and add sugar if necessary. Since the topping is DDL, I didn't add any sugar at all.
Wash and dry 4 ramekins. Butter them well. Coat the bottom of each ramekin lavishly with the DDL till everything you have is finished. Pour the beaten mixture equally into the ramekins. Cover with aluminuim foil and poke a hole on top. Take a large pan, fill with 1 inch warm water and place the ramekins into it. Push the tray into your oven and bake for almost 1 hour till done.
Once done, take out the ramekins, allow to cool to room termperature and refrigerate for a few hours until well set.
For serving, run a knife on the edges of the ramekins and slowly dump onto your plate. Gobble it down!!!
The serving size is small, so I felt it would satisfy minor cravings!!! Hehe...What makes the difference to this flan is the cinnamon flavoring. It gives a totally different feel when you eat it. If you don't like cinnamon, you can substitute with vanilla essence. But I would strongly vouch for the cinnamon, otherwise it would taste no different to a creme custard.
When we had our get together of our school friends at one of my friend's house, I naturally decided on baking a cake. Since I knew my friends are unaware of Dulce de leche, I zeroed on this recipe and went ahead. Even I never knew what this "item" was till I was hooked onto blogosphere's high food content! I made the DDL (better for short forms than type it again to make spelling mistakes!!!) and used up almost 3/4 can for the recipe. Now what do I do with the remaining? I also had some left over evaporated milk that I had used for the steamed chocolate moist cake.
I do have a sweet tooth, but I can tell you one thing - once I started cooking, I really cannot eat Nutella, condensed milk or the likes directly into my mouth. I somehow feel that they are better when included in cooking. Seriously!!! These were things I could keep licking my spoon and dipping it over and over again, but now I have got over the urge to do so. May, becasue I am seeing it more often... Can be that my mind is now saturated towards it! So that explains the reason why the remaining DDL sat in the fridge without being touched. My brother who normally raids the fridge for these kinds didn't touch it because he is not fond of caramel.
As usual, I hung onto my phone to get some idea to finish it off and I found a recipe called "Mexican Flan". I really don't remember which site I adopted this recipe from. Flan is very similar to Creme Custard and cooked almost in the same fashion. What I could find is that normally flans have a caramel topping, however Mexicans prefer to use DDL or cajeta, as they call it. With no second thoughts, I just went ahead and did it. It is so easy to mix up all and arrange. The only difficulty is to wait till it gets done and then refrigerated, before you can gobble it down!
Mexican Flan
Serves 4
Ingredients:
1/2 cup dulce de leche
1/2 can (14oz) evaporated milk
1/2 can (12 oz) condensed milk
2 large eggs, room temperature
1/8 tsp cinnamon powder
Sugar, if required
Butter, to brush on ramekins
Method:
Preheat oven to 160 degree Celsuis.
In a bowl, beat the eggs with a whisk till well done. You do not need to beat for a long time, just until it becomes slightly pale. Add the evaporated-condensed milks and cinnamon powder and mix thoroughly. Check for sweetness and add sugar if necessary. Since the topping is DDL, I didn't add any sugar at all.
Wash and dry 4 ramekins. Butter them well. Coat the bottom of each ramekin lavishly with the DDL till everything you have is finished. Pour the beaten mixture equally into the ramekins. Cover with aluminuim foil and poke a hole on top. Take a large pan, fill with 1 inch warm water and place the ramekins into it. Push the tray into your oven and bake for almost 1 hour till done.
Once done, take out the ramekins, allow to cool to room termperature and refrigerate for a few hours until well set.
For serving, run a knife on the edges of the ramekins and slowly dump onto your plate. Gobble it down!!!
The serving size is small, so I felt it would satisfy minor cravings!!! Hehe...What makes the difference to this flan is the cinnamon flavoring. It gives a totally different feel when you eat it. If you don't like cinnamon, you can substitute with vanilla essence. But I would strongly vouch for the cinnamon, otherwise it would taste no different to a creme custard.

I love flan, afraid to try just because of its sweet content.
ReplyDeletethat's y i skipped sugar altogether, so the sweetness was only of the DDL. you can reduce the content of that and make it light... :)
Delete